Thursday 22 January 2015

A Winter Without Snow and The Fox Project...
It seems the snow queen has decided not to visit us this year in the South West of England. We have had plenty of frosts but only a tiny bit of snow for five minutes which soon melted away. I'm really missing it because last year we did not have any either. I think a winter without snow is just wrong and a sign of environmental changes that are causing a lot of problems in nature. This beautiful 'Snow Queen' illustration is by Angela Barrett from Pinterest and the other photo is a winter scene from January 2010 near my home.

The milder weather and constant rain encouraged the birds to have chicks far too early in 2014, I saw a few casualties in the garden and baby birds were dying because of the warm and then sudden cold climate. This poor little fellow did not survive. I tried feeding him and keeping him warm, but he was far too weak and there was no sign of his parents anywhere.
We really do need to treasure and preserve wildlife because it is getting harder for birds and animals to survive environmental changes and the cruelty of man.
I decided to start the New year in a positive way. I found 'The Fox Project' on Facebook just before Christmas. They are a non-profit organization that is run by volunteers, who help injured foxes and abandoned cubs. 
The photo shown below was taken from their Website Gallery. Lorraine was an abandoned vixen cub and was successfully rehabilitated into the wild...
I will never understand why anyone would want to harm these beautiful shy creatures. Farmers and people that own chickens seem to have always disliked the fox and consider them as vermin or aggressive towards pets. 
I believe it is possible to live in harmony with foxes by making secure chicken coops and keeping pets indoors at night. I'm not going talk too much about fox hunting here because I just see it as a senseless, cruel act that should remain banned! 
This shy foxy was found on Pinterest.
If you want to support 'The Fox Project' charity, you can donate money to their website or just visit and like the Facebook Page. They are getting a lot of support from artists as well, I have sold a few art prints and some foxy jewellery in my shop, and then donated some of the money to the project. At the moment I have a few silver earrings with carnelian stones that are for sale, to help the cause...
I hope you are all having a good winter with some snow. Stay cosy and warm by the fire and see you soon! xx  

15 comments:

Jeanette said...

Not good about the weather. It;s affecting us all sadly. Those poor foxes. I think hunting them is horrible. Glad Lorraine was able to successfully released back into the wild. Love your jewellery & art prints. Hugs,xx

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

I love foxes and many visit our garden. We were watching the Garden Revival programme last night and it was about making your garden a good environment for wildlife. Our garden is perfect for wildlife and we have many visitors. We have only had a light settling of snow so far. I love the snow but don't really like the disruption it causes.
Have a great weekend and keep warm. XXXX

Sparklyjools said...

We love our foxes and I will certainly check out the Fox Project Jo. We also support Fox Welfare who do amazing work looking after foxes with sarcoptic mange and send out free homeopathic treatments. They are brilliant, we treated and successfully cured several of our garden visiting foxes a couple of years ago. They also care and carry out Fox rehab. Thanks for raising the plight of these beautiful creatures in your post - and I hope you get some snow - I agree with you! xxx

Maura said...

I miss the snow as well, although this morning we have has a heavy frost, which makes the gardens look magical. We keep our chickens as safe as possible, but have lost a couple to the foxes, but that's nature's way, so I am not angry with them, just hope their and their little ones tummies are full! So off to check out the Fox Project..love the ear rings.
Keep warm and safe
luv Maura Xx
p.s." My uncle is now partial to a drop of whisky with honey!!
X

Victoria said...

HI kindred, what a beautiful way to help the foxes, what a fantastic cause, I adore foxes and all animals and like you find it hard that they are killed... so sad! I visited the links..awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that!
And LOVE your beautiful creations and artwork..I am especially smitten with the fox-moth, standing with the other moths..how magical and exquisite..totally touches my soul!

So sad you haven't had much snow and the effect of weather shifts on dying birds, my heart goes out to nature.

Thanks for this deeply insightful and beautiful post!
Always a joy to visit you. Wishing you a wonderful wkd!
Victoria

Tammie Lee said...

sorry to hear that you are not getting snow this year. winter sure would feel wrong around here without it. in fact it would be shocking.

we have fox here too, i rarely see them though. shy indeed. this is such a good tribute to them. wonderful of you to raise awareness and funds to this cause.

wishing you some snow, it is falling here at the moment, but will get warmer today and turn to rain.

sweet weekend to you!

Madelief said...

Hope you will get your snow! We had some after Christmas, but only for a few hours.

A good way to start the New Year indeed!

Happy weekend!

Madelief x

Jess said...

I remember last winter we didn't even get any frost let alone ice and snow. :) Snow's too cold for me although it does look very beautiful.
I love the work of Angela Barrett! The Hidden House book scared one of my daughters half to death with its evocative illustrations and even now she's grown up she's still a bit wary of it! ;)
That's a very cute picture of the fox cub.:)
Jess xx

kjsutcliffe said...

We've had snow again this year also some very delicate frosts and hard black ice -ready for a bit of warmth now :) I have a soft spot for foxes,they are quite magical, sadly human activity has a lot to answer for when it comes to native wild life x

Gemma said...

Hi Jo,
First off, I think it is a brilliant way to start the New Year. I will stop by the fox project website and take a look later.
Your work is just perfect for the cause. I hope they appreciate your generous contribution and showing their charity in this thoughtful blog post. You are a very kind soul, as well as gifted in the arts.
I would like a pair of those fox earrings. Please can you make me some? I shall send you a message today to order a pair.
The snow has not visited us either. I hope it will soon. Gem XOX

Starr White said...

I have the privilege of only a few fleeting glimpses of these beautiful, mysterious creatures. There's a bit of magic about them, isn't there? I love how you represent them in your work :)

stardust said...

The big round eyes, long ears…how adorable, I fell in love with the fox (# 4,5) at first sight. The Fox Project is a good news and I respect your contribution to it. Fox is different from grass-eating deer, but in the spacious Nara Park, humans and deer ( currently about 1200 deer) have coexisted more than 1300 years or longer. (There are many poems about deer in Manyoshu Anthology compiled in the 8th century). Coexistence is not impossible, though all the responsibility is on human side. Foxes tend to symbolize cunningness like in folklore but some people get the idea of their charms. Personally I love Ezo red fox (Vulpes vulpes schrencki). Our winter is much colder than usual; today I shivered outside with the highest temperature 4 degrees Celsius and below zero in the early morning. I long for snow but it rarely snows in Nara due to geography. Stay warm and enjoy your winter.

Yoko

Jade said...

I see a lot of foxes where we live and I leave food out for them, they seem to like dog food.
The fox project is so right for you because you are a fox lady.:)
The jewellery and fox illustrations are spot on. Love,love,Love them all. Jade.x

Willow said...

I know I practically wrote a novel but I also wanted to add that fox are truly near and dear to me I have always thought them wonderful Ive watched many a kit hop after grasshoppers in a nearby field I always feel blessed and amazed by them being here , never have I had a fox disrespect our farm perhaps we have an intuitive agreement :)

Rosemary said...

I do like the idea of seeing pristine snow especially when peeping out of the window first thing in the morning, but after a day I am happy for it to go on its way.
I unexpectedly came across your blog, and for some reason I had thought that previously we were following one another but it appears not. I will press the button again to make sure that I am♡